"Prayer is the most potent instrument of action. Be the change that you want to see in the world." ~ Gandhi
Here is a list of Odyssey's member faith groups, with links to and descriptions of their prayer resources.
A woman in a class on prayer, when asked to remember her first spiritual experience, told the instructor that she could not remember anything about a time of prayer, but what was flooding her mind and heart was a school girl's memory. When asked to describe the incident that had come into her awareness, she told the following story:
"I was nine years old and playing with my friends at recess. I noticed a Jewish classmate sitting under a tree and crying silently. She had not been accepted in our school and was often teased. I hadn't paid much attention to her until that day. I remember seeing her all alone and without hesitation I left my friends and what we were doing to go and sit beside her. We did not speak; we just sat together for the rest of the playtime."
When she finished her story the instructor said softly, "Your compassionate response to a person in need was a spiritual experience. Action can be a form of prayer."
Often our understanding of prayer is too narrow. We exclude from our prayer life powerful experiences because they do not fit our definition of what prayer is or what prayer is supposed to be. I define prayer as any activity that nurtures our relationship with God. If reading Scripture brings you closer to God, that is prayer. If having tea with a friend nurtures your relationship with God, that is prayer. If sitting still in a summer garden feeds your soul, that is prayer. Listening to music, teaching Sunday School, serving in a soup kitchen -- all can become prayer. - From Exploring a Life of Prayer by Rev. Jane E. Vennard, ordained by the United Church of Christ
If you have not already signed, please .
Send the Pledge to a Friend
"I don't do great things. I do small things with great love." ~ Mother Teresa
Eleven Ways to Act in Peace
1. Believe peace is possible. There is great power in thought.
2. Meditate or pray for peace. Reinforce your beliefs with prayer or meditation.
3. Greet every situation with an open heart. Embrace life as a wonderful adventure to nurture and grow. Walk with peace in your heart.
4. Speak kind words. Tell those you love how much they mean to you. Find occasions to give compliments. And when you encounter negative words or actions, let them challenge you to rise above and respond with kindness.
5. See things through the eyes of others. Live with compassion. Imagine the experiences of others and it is likely you will gain insight into how to treat people more lovingly.
6. Respect all those you come into contact with. Celebrate the beauty in all of our differences. Pray for your enemies so they are no longer enemies. Love all of humanity.
7. Practice Forgiveness. Forgive people for their faults and shortcomings and learn to forgive yourself as well.
8. Lead by example.
Show others how to be peaceful by living a peaceful life.
9. Share the wealth that is yours.
Each of us has something to give. Look inside and find what you have to share.
10. Pay it forward.
Commit random acts of kindness whenever you can.
11. Live the "Golden Rule."
Just about every religion has its own way of expressing the Golden Rule, "Do Unto Others...." Can you imagine if everyone did this?
"It is no longer good enough to cry peace, we must act peace, live peace, and live in peace."~ Shenandoah proverb
Here are Odyssey Networks' faith group members with initiatives toward a more peaceful world, and links to their volunteer opportunities.
Make a Gift
1. Donate to your favorite Peace Organizations.
2. Give a Gift of Peace.
Peace means taking care of all God's creations, so we suggest: Don't forget to feed a hungry person, rescue an animal, plant a tree, take care of the earth and teach our children well. Share your suggestions in our Peace - Power of Faith BLOG.
"Do your little bit of good where you are; it's those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world." ~
Extraordinary acts of faith are happening all around the world every day. People are taking steps towards peace through humanitarian work, social and environmental justice initiatives, and peaceful dialogues. Together we can change the world.
Join us for daily updates on the role of faith in the global community.
Do you have a Power of Faith video you'd like us to consider for the blog? If so, upload it to YouTube and send us the url.